Thursday, 20 August 2026 | 12:01
Bimo Aria Fundrika
KPK Insists Rp622 Billion State Loss in Hajj Quota Case Is Backed by Audit. [Suara.com/Alfian Winanto]

TheIndonesia.co - Indonesia’s Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has insisted that the alleged Rp622 billion (approximately £29 million) in state losses in a corruption case involving the allocation and administration of Hajj quotas by the Ministry of Religious Affairs in 2023–2024 is not merely an allegation.

The anti-corruption agency said the figure had been substantiated through its investigation and an audit conducted by Indonesia’s Audit Board (BPK).

Achmad Taufik Husein, Acting Director of Investigation at the KPK, said the calculation of the state losses had been completed and was included in the case file.

“There is also an element of state loss, and we have been able to prove it through the investigation that has been under way,” Taufik told reporters at the KPK’s Red and White Building in South Jakarta on Wednesday (19 August 2026).

According to Taufik, the calculation was established through an investigative process involving coordination with BPK auditors, which resulted in an official audit report.

The report was subsequently submitted to KPK prosecutors and declared complete, he said.

Taufik added that the calculation had also been verified by public prosecutors.

The Rp622 billion figure will therefore form part of the case to be examined during the trial at the Jakarta Corruption Court, which is part of the Central Jakarta District Court.

Yaqut Challenges KPK to Prove Rp622 Billion Loss

The KPK’s statement came a day after former Minister of Religious Affairs Yaqut Cholil Qoumas, also known as Gus Yaqut, questioned the basis for the calculation of the alleged state losses in the case against him.

During his trial at the Jakarta Corruption Court, Yaqut called on the KPK to publicly explain how the Rp622 billion figure had been calculated.

He also questioned which part of the Hajj quota allocation process had caused state funds to decrease to the extent that it could be classified as a state financial loss.

Yaqut Accused of Receiving US$271,500
In the case, KPK prosecutors have accused Yaqut of receiving US$271,500.

Prosecutors allege that Yaqut arranged the allocation of additional special Hajj quotas in 2023 and 2024 to special Hajj pilgrims who were not subject to the usual waiting period, known as T0.

The prosecutors claim the allocation did not comply with the applicable mechanism and was carried out to accommodate requests from the Association of Special Hajj Pilgrimage Organisers (PIHK).

They further allege that the allocation was linked to fees received for expediting pilgrims’ departures.

Yaqut is also accused of arranging the distribution of an additional 50% special Hajj quota in 2024 without a supporting technical assessment.

Prosecutors have charged Yaqut with enriching himself, other individuals or corporations by US$271,500.

According to the indictment, the resulting state financial loss amounted to Rp622,090,207,166.41.

The figure was based on an Investigative Audit Report issued by the BPK in February 2026.

Three other defendants are also facing charges in the case: Ismail Adham, Operations Director of PT Makassar Toraja (Maktour); Asrul Aziz Taba, Commissioner of PT Raudah Eksati Utama and chairman of the Indonesian Association of Hajj and Umrah Travel Companies (Kesthuri); and Ishfah Abidal Aziz, also known as Gus Alex, a former special adviser to Yaqut.